Moving Day Preparation
Here are some practical tips to help prepare for a stress-free moving day:
- Create a checklist: Lists the things you have to do as moving day approaches, in chronological order.
Manage Expenses: Create a budget and determine what services you can afford: movers, moving van, storage container, etc. Shop around for the best deal and book well in advance.
- Label: Map out where your furniture will go in your new home and label accordingly so it gets put in the right rooms from the start. Also create labels for all your moving boxes and pack items by room. Keep a record of your list of labels so you can track every item on moving day and make sure nothing goes missing.
- Giveaway: Now is the time to go through each room and discard/donate/sell or give away whatever you don’t need.
- Change of Address: Notify personal contacts of your change of address and of the effective date. Also file a change of address notice with Canada Post.
- Pack: About five weeks before moving day, collect boxes and start packing items that are not used often, such as photo albums, books and mementos.
- Meal Planning: Two weeks before moving plan your meals for the last week to help empty the refrigerator and avoid using any appliances that have already been packed.
- Final Lap: With one week to go, finish packing essential items. Drain all gas from your mowers and other motors and dispose of appropriately. Drain your garden hose. Empty, defrost and clean your refrigerator. If necessary, make childcare arrangements for moving day.
- Moving Day: Do a final check of all rooms and leave a note with your new address for the future residents so they can forward any stray mail.